As the woman who was determined to not have *anything* pink or sparkly in the house, I'm a little embarrassed to admit that my daughter was dressed head-to-toe in pink last week. And that she has a pair of silver sparkle Mary Janes. The tutus don't count, right? I am a dance teacher after all. While I have a genuine fear that Kaiya will be a girlie girl (how on earth would I relate?!), I certainly don't want to force my opinions and choices on her. And it's nearly impossible to find girl's clothes without some sort of pink or sparkle.
It's not that I want her to wear holey jeans, have super short hair, and play football or anything (though if that's what she chooses, alrighty then). I LOVE her blonde ringlets and think she is beyond adorable in her dance clothes twirling around the house. The fear, I suppose, is more that she will become a prissy, narcissistic snot -- not realistic, I know, but most fears are in fact irrational. It's hard to shelter your child from the princess obsessed culture in which we live -- hence the title of the above referenced book ('Cinderella Ate My Daughter: Dispatches From the Front Lines of the New Girlie Girl Culture').
It's not like I don't enjoy girlie things. Jeans, a t-shirt, and a ponytail might be my standard but I do love a cute skirt and styling my hair. I even enjoy getting all decked out for a wedding or other such excuse to wear a cocktail dress and diamonds. And I'll never say no to a pedicure (speaking of, I haven't had one of those in over two years, hint, wink :-p). But I've never cared about the brand of my clothes, or my make-up. Functional, cute, comfy...those are my standards. Inexpensive is a big plus. I'd rather spend my money on other things thankyouverymuch. And the reality is, most of my daily activities require a ponytail and jeans over high heels and earrings -- and have for a number of years.
Given my and Ian's choices with regard to clothing and activities (we prefer jumping out of planes over sitting in a coffee shop; flip flops over dress shoes; traveling everywhere and often over spending extra money on expensive you-name-the-item), it's relatively unlikely that Kaiya would develop those traits that exist in my fears...and she's certainly not the quiet, shy girl who sits in the corner.
No...this child is everyone's best friend (who does that sound like? Yes -- she talks as much as he does too. No, it's not a bad thing. From either one of them). She's the welcome committee on every airplane she's ever been on. She grabs the hand of the child who is feeling shy in dance class and encourages them to dance along. She does wear dresses, but they usually have dirt all over them. And her bows tend to always be falling out. If she had a choice, her entire day would be spent outdoors. On a slide. The higher, the better. Her best friends are boys, and she keeps up with them (as evidenced by her fat lip, busted gums, and cut forehead yesterday). She loves people, animals, and all things nature. Is willing to try just about anything, and is just as adorable in jeans and a t-shirt as she is in a dress and pigtails (or a diaper and boots as she chose to dress yesterday).
Cinderella Ate My Daughter? More like 'My Daughter Kicked Cinderella's Ass'...while my she might not look a thing like me, Kaiya is just as full of piss and vinegar and I have no doubts that she, too, will be the only girl on the all boy soccer team because the girls aren't competitive enough; the girl who wants to be a boyscout because they go camping 'for real'. Time will tell...at the end of the day, all we can hope for is a well rounded child who cares for others, loves herself, and knows she has the loving support not only of her parents but her entire family in whatever endeavors she chooses to pursue.
Battle wounds
Our dancing girl
Who else can rock a dress, Mary Jane's, and a ball cap?
Oh yes, she wanted to go down this two story slide. And she was pissed I couldn't get her to the top.
Atta-girl!
ReplyDelete