Monday, February 7, 2011

Mama, Dada, Tickle Tickle, and Oh Shit

The sound of a child's voice -- and not just any child, your child -- could there be anything sweeter?? From the moment you hear those first delicious coos, it's impossible to avoid thinking about what her first word might be. Will it be 'mama'? 'dada'? So many choices! While Kaiya's first repetitive sounds were m's, her first coherent 'word' was dada, followed by mama, and both used indiscriminately. I can't remember the last time I heard her say Mama, though it wasn't long ago I heard Mom, Mama, MOMMY all day long. I couldn't begin to count the number of times I heard da-DY today.

Okay, so those are natural first words. Once you get beyond the vowel sounds, consonant vowel combinations, and gibberish, you realize that your child's words are highly reflective of your daily speech, activities, and surroundings -- for better or worse. Kaiya's first real word was 'tickle, tickle', and you can thank Daddy and his daily tickle fests for that one. Though, I suppose if you are to take the blame for a word 'tickle, tickle' is better than 'oh, shit'. Yes, that's my contribution to our sweet child's vocabulary. Apparently I use the phrase at least once a day. The best part is she uses both phrases appropriately, and has since she started vocalizing them (both before she turned one). Reaction to the first: 'omigod -- did she just say tickle, tickle?! how CUTE! and look! she's even tickling you while she says it!' Reaction to my contribution: me, 'omigod, did she just say what i think she did?!?!' ian, 'considering the fact that she just threw something over the side of the bed and said oh, shit -- yeah, i'm pretty sure she just said what you think she did and that one is your fault'

So, here we are at 18 months. Our child is INSANELY vocal. Quite frankly, she never stops talking. And every day, she throws out a new word or phrase...or a whole slew of conversation, of which you might understand one word. This child has the gift of gab, and you really can't blame her for it (have you met her Daddy? what about BobBob? Gramps? Yes, she was doomed).

A few of my favorite word moments from recent days:

Me: 'Kaiya, guess where we're going for dinner tonight!' Kaiya: 'SUSHI!' -- apparently we eat sushi often. Okay, alot.

It has only taken about 2 months to translate, but every time a plane or helicopter flies by Kaiya points skyward and says 'Up high!' -- that would be b/c every time a plane or helicopter flies by I tell her to look up high

Today, Kaiya was demonstrating to Gramma (aka Mamma, aka Bubbles) that she isn't allowed to push the buttons on the T.V. She would *almost* touch the buttons then say 'Yaya, NO' and then laugh.

She surprises us every once in awhile by stringing several words together. She has been able to say 'Yaya want some' for ages which has recently morphed in to 'I want some'...usually followed by 'cheeeeeese' 'I want some cheeeeeeeeeeese'

There is the ever cute 'Easea' -- which means 'please', and is accompanied by the sign for please (circular motion on the chest)...impossible to refuse, and she knows it

She absolutely LOVES to chat on the phone, whether or not there is a person on the other end. She spent about 5 minutes telling Daddy all about her day today, and she often walks around the house with her toy phone chatting to her imaginary friend (who must be hysterical given the way she laughs during their conversations)

And she was very concerned today when, during her outside play time with Mamma, the sun *disappeared* -- where did it go?!?! She had a lengthy, and animated, conversation about the situation.

When all else fails, there is always sign language and charades:

Patting Daddy's head means she wants to ride on his shoulders

Finger in the mouth, accompanied by a tongue cluck, means Mommy milk

Thumb and forefinger together, miming putting on lipstick, means 'I want my lip balm please'

Shaking the baby gate with full force means 'I'm ready for bed'

Last, and possibly sweetest of all, twisting her open hand from side to side means 'I love you' -- not bye bye...and she knows the precise moment to throw that one out there :-p

No comments:

Post a Comment