Friday, June 17, 2011

All things Daddy...

Sunday is Father's Day, and Kaiya and I have so much to be grateful for when it comes to her Daddy. At this risk of sounding cliche, I must make this statement: most men make great fathers. They provide for their families, are great problem solvers, and provide a loving but firm presence in the home. A 'Daddy', while filling those squares, is also so very much more...

I always thought Ian would make an awesome Daddy. He is, after all, one of the most genuine and caring people I know. Kaiya certainly thinks he's a rockstar -- if ever there was a Daddy's Girl, it would be the curly haired monster sleeping upstairs. And may I just say, I only thought I loved my husband more than humanly possible until he became a Daddy -- watching Ian interact with our daughter on a daily basis, seeing his nurturing instincts come out, and experiencing first hand the bond between a man and his little girl has taken my love for him to a place I simply cannot express in words.

Ian defines 'Daddy' because...

* when Kaiya was taken out of the OR while I was being stitched up, missing that crucial skin-to-skin postpartum bonding time, he followed her. Demanded that he remain with her, and sat with his own shirt off cuddling our newborn as she sucked his pinky until she could be at my breast

* I didn't change a single diaper until Kaiya was almost a week old

* when I mentioned transitioning Kaiya to her crib from our bed when she was 5 months old, he wasn't ready

* he never cared how girly our stash of slings and wraps were -- Ian loved wearing Kaiya and having her near him

* he calls her -- from work, when out of town -- just to say 'hi'. And he speaks to her with genuine interest, having a true conversation

* I've never once had to ask him to take Kaiya off my hands when he gets home from work. He comes home eager to spend time with his little bug -- feeling sad to leave her in the mornings to head to the office

* that priceless expression of pure joy on his face each and every time he comes home from work and sees his baby girl

* he thanks me, often and with genuine sincerity, for giving him such a beautiful family

* he gave me shake weight for Christmas, anticipating this wonderful 2-year-old stage, and hoping I would shake the gift and not the baby in times of extreme frustration :-p

Thank you, my love, for being such an amazing Daddy! Just one request, if we ever do have any more children...can they please look a tiny bit like me?! :-p

1 comment:

  1. This is so sweet! I've never met Ian, but he does seem like an awesome daddy. I'm happy for you that you found such a great guy!

    ReplyDelete